The GW2 Skimmer is a floating manta ray which hovers and flies over the ground or water. The whiskers and edges of its wings can be recolored with dyes in the Equipment tab of the Hero Panel.
Skimmers can be used to cross many dangerous forms of terrain, including quicksand, lava, boiling water, and more. It can also be used to fly over water faster than a player’s swimming speed. As of August 2020, you can also mount and ride the Skimmer underwater.
Where Do You Get a Skimmer Mount?
You can find Skimmers at Skimmer Ranch on the west side of the Elon Riverlands map. You will need the Raptor’s long leap (Canyon Jumping) in order to reach this location. Complete the heart and pay 50 Trade Contracts + 4 Gold to unlock the Skimmer.
It costs a total of 22 Path of Fire Mastery points to completely level up the Skimmer mount.
- Level 1: Nimble Recovery Grants Protection and Swiftness when dismounting in combat. Cost: 2 Path of Fire Mastery point.
- Level 2: Rejuvenating Revival Barrel Roll heals downed allies. Cost: 3 Path of Fire Mastery points.
- Level 3: Ride The Wind Increase the Skimmer’s floating height. Cost: 4 Path of Fire Mastery points.
- Level 4: Nimble Benevolence Share the combat dismount bonus with all mounts. Cost: 5 Path of Fire Mastery points.
- Level 5: Skimming the Depths Dive underwater. Cost: 8 Path of Fire mastery points.
You must level up either Skimmer or Springer at least through level 3 before you can get the Jackal mount.
Note: Mounts are part of the Path of Fire expansion pack. You must have Path of Fire in order to get mounts.
New Skimmer Mastery: Skimming the Depths
An update on August 25, 2020 added a new Skimmer mastery which lets you mount and ride your Skimmer underwater. This mastery is called Skimming the Depths.
This mastery has three components:
- Unlock the mastery for training by completing the Finding Sabaha collection. The official wiki has an excellent walkthrough
- Train the mastery by earning 2 million XP in the Path of Fire maps.
- Purchase the mastery with 8 Path of Fire mastery points.
Read more about it in our blog post, The Skimmer Journey.